Thursday, January 20, 2011

It's A Wonderful Life!



Inspired by my friend, Kate and her blog, who was inspired by Seth Godin’s blog, I decided to make a list of my accomplishments both big and small in 2010. 
Every year when December rolls around, I wonder where the year went. Then my next thought is that I didn’t do anything “worthwhile” in the past year. Call it short term memory or that for a split second, I “think” my accomplishments are not noteworthy. Like they need to be in a magazine or something for them to be worthy of my recognition...

As I was writing my list, the movie, It’s a Wonderful Life popped into my head. One of my all time favorites! It’s an old black & white film, starring Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed. In the movie, Jimmy Stewart plays George Bailey. At the beginning of the movie, after a serious of unfortunate events, George decides to take his own life by jumping off a bridge on Christmas Eve. Just as he's about to jump, his guardian angel appears and shows him how life would be in Bedford Falls, if he'd never been born. With the help of Clarence, his guardian angel, George realizes that by being alive, he’s enriched the lives of many people. He is able to see that the "small" things he did every day, had a major impact on the lives of everyone around him.  Check out the clip below of the last scene in the movie.  
Every time we make eye contact, every smile, every moment we take the time to connect with another human being or don’t, has an effect...



Really, how silly of me to think I hadn’t done anything worthwhile with my year. But these are the thoughts that we sometimes choose to believe....thoughts that can diminish our self esteem, if we allow them to take root in our mind. Our accomplishments are unique to each of us, big or small. We all have our own unique purpose. Whether it’s being the best mother, teacher, singer or bartender. We can’t compare ourselves to others and deem ourselves less worthy because of the jobs we hold or the titles we have. 
Here’s to LIVING and not just merely existing, done my way....
  • I made my daughter smile many times...really priceless.
  • I listened with undivided attention to friends who just needed to vent, no judgment. 
  • I let myself be vulnerable and accept help when it was offered.
  • I officially became a Board Certified Holistic Health Counselor.
  • I became a member of the American Association of Drugless Practitioners. 
  • I started a newsletter on healthy eating, juicy living and guilt free self care.
  • I started this blog...which I never thought I would, thanks Catherine!
  • I started surfing again, because I got a surfboard for Christmas...thanks to "The Dude"!
  • I gifted my self a helicopter lesson! I get to scratch this one and the one below from my bucket list!!!
  • I gifted my self a Nascar lesson with track time. I can't wait!

I realize I have been “living” a very full life, complete with amazing accomplishments, big and small. I’ve grown and become a better person, friend, mother, daughter and woman. I’ve learned so much from my triumphs as well as my “failures,” which are great opportunities for growth. With all it’s ups and downs, I wouldn’t change a thing. Living to me means, fully feeling every emotion...being able to sit with the rawness and vulnerability of living your truth no matter who it pisses off and how you are judged. It’s not for the faint of heart but that doesn’t mean that only a handful of people have been given the courage to do it. We ALL posses the ability to live the life of our dreams...
Are you living or just existing?
Are you living the life of your dreams?
If you are not, why are YOU stopping yourself from doing so? 

What is your DREAM




in love and pleasure,

1 comment:

  1. And you are helping me now. Thanks Margarita. Today I really needed to read this. Thanks.Lyl.

    ReplyDelete