Thursday, September 2, 2010



So why do I call my blog, the Twinkie Diaries? Well, it’s the first “treat” I can remember looking forward to, every week when I was a little girl. And frankly, I can’t come up with any other name that I like, or that tells my story with food which is not always about eating the right foods but about enjoying the foods that I do like.
For me, It was a weekly ritual, going to the supermarket with my mom, knowing that at the check out counter there it would be....my little slice of heaven, a fluffy yellow sponge cake with it’s sugary sweet white filling wrapped in a shiny clear wrapper...ready for me to enjoy. I remember salivating at the thought of licking the icing off. Even though I don’t eat them anymore, just thinking about the creamy, sugary smooth icing is making my mouth water. Did mention, I have a sweet tooth? 
So there we’d be, my mother and I waiting to pay. I’d be scanning the TV guide figuring out what TV show I’d watch while I savored my twinkie. I would save the twinkie for later when I could enjoy it without interruptions. Which meant that I would have to WAIT until after we walked home and ate dinner to eat my twinkie. Talk about delaying gratification. Was I a patient little girl or what?.....I wonder what happened? HA!
But once I sat down to eat my twinkie, I was in a trance. I didn’t rush and tear the wrapper. I would gently pry it open at the edges. I would close my eyes, bring it close to my nose and inhale it’s sweet aroma for a few seconds. I would then break it in half, right where the icing was and slowly lick the icing, filling my mouth with sugary sweetness. In between eating the spongy cake and licking the icing....I was in heaven. And nothing else mattered and by the time I finished, I was completely satisfied. I was full and didn't need a second one. I wasn't craving for more sweets, I was content.
Something about really taking your time to savor and enjoy the food you are eating regardless of what it is.....is deeply healing. Of course, it’s better to go for whole foods with real nutritional value that heal the body from the inside out....but once you come to terms with “forbidden food”, you won’t crave them as much or even at all.  
Which in my next blog, you’ll see what I mean. Let’s just say it involves some more licking, this time ice cream and with a rapt audience....
in love and pleasure,


Margarita
If you are interested in a consultation, my monthly newsletter, go to my website: www.TheTwinkieAngel.com, click on the Contact tab and send me your information.  Or to subscribe to my blog, go to  www.TheTwinkieAngel.blogspot.com

6 comments:

  1. Like this blog. I am so glad that you are doing this. I am looking forward to hearing about you more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you savor the taste of life as much as you describe with such true passion your love of a a special food. With every word and every feeling you describe I SO MUCH WANTED WANTED TO SHARE IN YOUR EXPERIENCE OF THE TASTE AND THE FEELING OF BEING SO EXCITED ABOUT A LITTLE CAKE WITH A SPECIAL GIFT TO A LITTLE GIRL.PLEASE TELL ME MORE AND HELP ME TO APPRECIATE THE LITTLE THINGS THAT MAKE A CHILD and a PERSON HAPPY.THANK YOU .

    so sweet becky g.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eating well is so important in life, so the mirror of eating well and healthy is that describe us of be happy full of energy and so active of be aware in our society why we have to eat healthy. You know lets point for a second the average of hard working class people, like me! We live in a consume society… We know all those commercials or ads in TV, Magazines, Billboards, mostly everywhere we look around, chains like Mc Donald, or any fast food place let’s say of an average of a mile we will find at list 4 or sometimes 10 fast food places, if we look of high schools areas sometimes even more. Why you thing we don’t have more farmers markets around? How expensive can be to eat well and healthy? Do you think Politics have some personal interest on all of this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you June and Ron. Rumbera, here are a few points I got directly from the documentary movie, Food, Inc., a must see....

    ~In 2010, the majority of "Farms" are actually Factories, owned by a few multinational corporations.
    ~This small group of corporations contract the average farmer to "grow" corn, "raise" cattle, etc... these farmers, in order to keep up with the demands of their 'employers', upgrading equipment and not to mention the $500k they borrowed from the bank to start their small farms, are in debt up to their eyeballs. So, they will comply with the demands of the big corporations...so as not to lose their farms and lively hood.
    ~A while back the Chief of Staff for the FDA was the former Chief Lobbyist to the beef industry. And the Head of the FDA was the former Executive Vice President for the National Food Processors.
    ~Farm bill: grow as much as you can, farmers get subsidized by the bushel.
    ~Did you know that the over produced corn(subsidized by the Gov) is genetically reengineered and can be found in the following products:
    ketchup, cheese, Twinkies, batteries, peanut butter, cheez-its, salad dressing, coke, jelly, sweet and low, syrup, juice, charcoal, diapers, motrin, meat and fast food....just to mention a few.

    So, when we go to the supermarket, we are "sold" an illusion of diversity, when in reality, it's a few huge corporations that "own" the food.

    There are not many farmer's markets because it's not profitable. Even though, we all know it's better to eat whole, not genetically engineered food, there needs to be more advocacy for local and organic farming.

    Does Politics have a personal interest, after seeing the movie Food, Inc...you do the math..

    What can we do as individuals? Buy local and organic. Here are some resources:

    Eat Well Guide
    www.eatwellguide.com
    A national search engine that allows you to search for farms, markets, restaurants and more.

    Eat Wild
    www.eatwild.com
    Provides information on suppliers of grass-fed, pasture-raised and organic animal products.

    Edible Communities
    www.ediblecommunities.com
    A network of local food publications with information on events, local growers, food producers, chefs, and consumers.

    Local Harvest
    http://www.localharvest.org/
Provides directories of CSAs, farmers’ markets, restaurants, and food coops.

    
Organic Consumers Association
    http://www.organicconsumers.org/purelink.html
    Contains directories of food-coops, natural food stores, farmers’ markets, CSAs and more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woow!!! thanks so much for sharing all this information. Can We find some community Gardens around Miami or at list around!!! make some sence to organize and try to push more Politicians to do some thing?
    www.localharvest.org ( this is a great link to find some farms ) do you recomend any way to grow grains or vegetables at home? can you share some way to eat simple and healthy with out eating any red meat? Margarita Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rumbera,

    Here are 2 sites that offer do-it-yourself portable gardens. I'm not recommending either one. I'm just supplying the info, I haven't tried them or know of anyone that has. Maybe you could be the first to do so....

    Mobile garden:
    http://aplusrstore.com/product.php?id=550

    Amber's Garden Pre-Seeded Vegetable Garden Mats
    http://www.ambersgarden.com/

    As for the healthy, simple sans red meat lifestyle, that's something we would discuss at length in my program. If you are interested, we can start out with a free Health History. You can contact me at Margarita@the twinkieangel.com

    ReplyDelete